At GrandVision, we serve our customers across more than 40 countries with more than 30 retail brands, some of which were recognized with multiple retailer awards in 2020. We also expanded our omnichannel customer journey to increase accessibility of GrandVision products and services. This way, our customers can shop for eyewear products on our brand websites and access professional eyecare expertise in stores.
We feel honored to be recognized with more than 40 awards worldwide and celebrated the following industry accolades in 2020:
- ‘Best Optical Retail Chain’ awarded to Pearle in Belgium, Eye Wish in The Netherlands, Interoptik in Norway and MultiOpticas in Portugal
- ‘Trusted Brand Award’ for the eighth consecutive year for MultiOpticas in Portugal
- 'Best Optician Chain 2020' awarded to Synoptik in Sweden
- 'Best in Service 2020 - Optical Industry' awarded to GrandVision Italy for a second year in a row
- Webshop excellence awards in the Optics category won by Pearle in The Netherlands and Belgium, as well as Apollo in Germany
- ‘Consumer's Choice Award’ for seventh year in a row; and ‘Senior Consumer's Brand Award’ for sixth year in a row by MultiOpticas in Portugal
- 'America's Best in State Customer Service' awarded to For Eyes in Florida, Maryland and Massachusetts
- 'Consumidor Moderno 2020' awarded to GrandVision Brazil for customer service excellence
Bringing eyecare to São Paulo
They say necessity is the mother of invention, or innovation, in this case. During 2020, when some of our customers in São Paulo could not make it to their local optician, we delivered a solution.
Our GrandVision colleagues in Brazil identified this eyecare gap during the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic. The retail brand noticed that demand for glasses, sunglasses and contact lenses remained high, in spite of limits to store visits. To solve this challenge, our Brazilian teams launched 'GV Móvel,' a mobile store that drove near their customers and was a convenient, safe option for them to buy prescription glasses, sunglasses and contact lenses in their own neighborhoods.
Unlike individual retail stores, GV Móvel was a convenient way to bring our products and services directly to customers, as well as schedule visits to companies, other organizations and large apartment complexes that are traditional to the city landscape.
The retail brand ensured GV Móvel staff followed the World Health Organization (WHO) and Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Prevention guidelines to keep the van clean and protect our employees and customers in line with COVID-19 regulations.
GV Móvel offered customers the best products and eyecare services available in a convenient and safe mobile setting, and provided advantages for partner companies, including:
- Exclusive discounts
- Prompt delivery of reading glasses
- Specially-priced glasses and sunglasses
Investing in our customer experience
In 2020, our capital expenditure investments excluding acquisitions totaled EUR 152 million. The majority of invested capital was used to optimize our existing store network, including safety equipment in stores to ensure a secure environment for employees and customers during the COVID-19 pandemic. We continue to improve our employees’ work environments, enhance our operations and maintain responsive customer service.
The capital invested in non-store assets mainly supports our digital strategy and omnichannel capabilities. As of 2020 year-end, our global store network totaled 7,260, compared to 7,406 stores in 2019, a decrease of 2%. Despite COVID-19, store openings continued at a significant pace as we opened 187 stores across the network. As in previous years, we continued to assess our store network’s quality, resulting in a closure of structurally underperforming stores mainly in the Americas and Asia segment. The network was also impacted by closures in India and Italy and the exit of operations in China, in addition to the absence of any significant network-contributing acquisitions in the period.